Technology Transfer Officer Jobs Vacancy in Stellenbosch University Bellville
Stellenbosch University Bellville urgently required following position for Technology Transfer Officer. Please read this job advertisement carefully before apply. There are some qualifications, experience and skills requirement that the employers require. Does your career history fit these requirements? Ensure you understand the role you are applying for and that it is suited to your skills and qualifications.
Follow the online directions, complete all the necessary fields, and provide all relevant information so your application is submitted correctly. When you click the 'Apply this Job' button (open in new window) you will be taken to the online application form. Here you will be asked to provide personal and contact details, respond to employment-related questions, and show how you meet the key selection criteria.
Technology Transfer Officer Jobs Vacancy in Stellenbosch University Bellville Jobs Details:
The key responsibilities of the incumbent will be to work closely with other technology transfer members of Innovus on the following key performance areas:
Networking and Marketing
- Establishing and maintaining productive relationships with SUs academic and research community to stimulate awareness of intellectual property issues and commercial opportunities, and to encourage an innovativeand entrepreneurial culture within SU;
- Engaging directly and proactively with academic departments to identify SUs intellectual property with potential for commercial exploitation;
- Setting up meetings and arranging events to market Innovus on and off campus;
- Actively updating Innovuss social media and website information with news, events information, etc.;
- Establishing and maintaining relationships with the industry;
- Appropriately marketing SUs intellectual property to identify and engage commercial exploitation partners / investors.
Evaluation and protection
- Grasping technical concepts quickly, and translating these into commercially viable proposals;
- Managing a large and growing portfolio of projects to a successful commercial conclusion;
- Assessing the commercial potential of SU intellectual property based on uniqueness and market potential;
- Advising academics on, and executing the best mode of protection for SUs intellectual property;
- Identifying appropriate routes to exploitation;
- Analysing business opportunities;
- Preparing and recommending optimal deal structuring of potential spin-out companies and/or licence potential.
- Identifying potential industry partners for specific technology commercialisation opportunities;
- Constant and very proactive liaising with the industry in order to facilitate technology transactions;
- Engaging in technology licensing and new venture formation processes, in particular structuring, negotiating and closing deals;
- Working effectively with key stakeholders, assertively influencing them and where appropriate, showing tenacity and persistence in business development situations.
Communication and other duties
- Communicating regularly and effectively with other members of Innovus, including regular meetings with the Director: Technology Transfer, to ensure effective management of SU intellectual property;
- Carrying out such other duties relevant to the post holders experience as requested by the Director: Technology Transfer.
Working Environment (knowledge of special working practices, breadth ofmanagement skill required, customer impact, responsibility, efficiency)
- Analysing intellectual property (IP) to identify the best mode of protection. Making recommendations for the protection of IP to the Director: Technology Transfer and to appropriate academic staff;
- Making recommendations for the exploitation of SU IP to the Director: Technology Transfer, and leading the implementation of these recommendations once agreed upon;
- Identifying and engaging suitable commercial contributing partners and investors;
- Engaging in the structuring, negotiation and closing of licensing deals and new venture formation;
- Liaising with colleagues in the Technology Transfer Team and within Innovus and SU to contribute to the development of good practice in technology transfer.
Freedom to Act and Decision-making (depthof control, supervision received, use of judgement & initiative, analyticalability)
- The incumbent will be responsible for contributing to the delivery of a range of outputs including technology disclosures, protection of SU intellectual property, license and investment deals, and new venture formation.
Communication and Networking (liaisonwith others, type and level of communications)
- Daily communication and networking with Innovus transfer staff;
- Daily communication and networking with other Innovus staff, in particular academic staff;
- Routinely communicating and networking with members of various public and private sector organisations;
- Routinely communicating and networking with investors and commercial partners.
- A postgraduate scientific degree or equivalent qualification;
- Proven experience in a technology transfer office at a university;
- Experience and knowledge of general computer programmes (MS Office), especially with regards to record keeping and data-capturing;
- Project management experience;
- Good understanding of the Intellectual Property Rights of Publicly Funded Research and Development Act (51 of 2008) and its Regulations, as well as SUs Intellectual Property Policy;
- Good knowledge of Technology Transfer systems / processes;
- Practical knowledge of commercialisation and investment networks;
- Good business acumen;
- Good organisational skills;
- Good IT skills, including word processing, spreadsheets (Excel), and e-mail;
- Good communication and numeracy skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills;
- Proactive self-starter;
- Ability to support others, and to work as part of a team;
- Flexible and cooperative;
- High energy level, good health;
- Willingness and availability to travel as required throughout the Western Cape and occasionally, the rest of South Africa or abroad;
- Valid drivers licence and own transport.
- A scientific PhD or Business qualification;
- Experience of working within a scientific environment;
- Proven record of deal completion.